Kids Have Stress Too! Grade 1-3
Welcome to Kids Have Stress Too! Tools and Activities for Grade 1-3 classrooms.
This research-based program is built on an experiential learning approach. Its aim is to help educators create teachable moments to introduce stress management strategies and build emotional resiliency.
The goals of the program are:
- To teach children how to recognize and deal with stress
- To help teachers create a peaceful environment in their classroom by promoting self-regulation in students.
The program features:
- A teacher's guide with an overview of the program, including
- A list of supplies or materials needed
- Step-by-step lesson plans,
- Tips, facts or suggestions on how to extend or modify the activity
- Photocopy masters
- A letter for parents
- A series of tip and fact sheets, curriculum connections and other resources for educators.
- Links to where to find more information relevant to teachers, caregivers and others working with children
The program features 16 skill-based activities that:
- Help students understand stress and its impact on health and learning
- Teach students practical techniques for coping with stress and promoting resilience
- Show students how to address the signs of stress before they get overwhelmed by them
- Ranging from 5 to 50 minutes in length, each activity can easily be woven into a teacher’s existing curriculum.
The program’s activities are built around 4 units:
1. Understanding stress (Activity 1-2)
2. Calming the body (Activities 3-7)
3. Understanding and managing feelings (Activities 8-10)
4. Thinking skills to cope with stress and promote resilience (Activities 11-16)
Our materials can be downloaded or ordered in print form from our RESOURCES page.